iPrepare Posting Page
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
A quick earthquake preparedness checklist to include in your emergency preparedness plan. Print a copy of this list for quick access, and include this list with your emergency kits.
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation. Consider storing more water for extended periods of time if possible.
- Food - at least a three to nine day supply of non-perishable food and a portable stove.
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned foods)
- Local maps
- Cell phone and chargers
- Prescriptions medications and glasses
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food and water for your pet
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification, and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
- Cash or traveler's checks and change
- Emergency reference material, such as a first aid book
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person; consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate and rain gear.
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper, When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children